Visit to Australia by a Delegation of the French Senate - Committee for Foreign Affairs, Defence and Armed Forces (20-22 June 2012)
Visit to Australia by a Delegation of the French Senate CAED - Committee for Foreign Affairs, Defence and Armed Forces (20-22 June 2012)
The Press and Information Department of the French Embassy is pleased to announce the visit of Former Minister of Defence, Mr. Jean-Pierre Chevènement and Senators Didier BOULAUD, Xavier PINTAT and Bernard PIRAS to Australia on from Wednesday June 20th for a two-day visit.
During their visit to Canberra, Mr. Chevènement and the delegation will hold a meeting with The Hon. Warren Snowdon, and will have the opportunity to exchange views with the Parliamentary Friendship Group France-Australia. The delegation will attend Question Time at the Parliament House, which will be followed by a courtesy call with Senator John Hogg, President of the Senate.
A working session with the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade President, Michael Danby is part of their program and a dinner with Mr. Kevin Rudd will close the first day of the visit.
In Canberra, Mr. Chevènement and the delegation will meet Mr. Duncan Lewis, Department of Defence Secretary, Mr. Richard Marles, Parliamentary Secretary for Pacific Island Affairs, Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs, and Mrs Julie Bishop, Deputy Leader of the Federal Opposition, Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs and Shadow Minister for Trade.
Following a visit to the DFAT, the delegation will attend a round table with think tanks and research centres representatives, before leaving for Sydney to meet the French businessmen community.
In Sydney, the delegation with hold talks with Thales Facilities and the French defence industry.
A round table at the Lowy Institute for International Policy will close the visit Friday afternoon.
Download the PDF here (49.1 Ko).
- Official meeting between the Hon. Warren Snowdon, Minister for Veterans Affairs, and the French delegation (here Mr. Jean-Pierre Chevènement on the right).
- The French delegation with Senator John Hogg, President of the Senate.
- The French delegation with the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade and its president Michael Danby.
- Mr. Jean-Pierre Chevènement with Stephen Smith, Minister for Defence.
- The delegation with Mr. Kevin Rudd at the occasion of a dinner at the Residence of France.
- Mr. Jean-Pierre Chevènement and Mr. Kevin Rudd.
- The delagation lays a wreath at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
- Visit of the 1914-18 gallery at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
- Meeting Mrs. Julie Bishop, deputy leader of the opposition.
- Mr. Jean-Pierre Chevènement, former Defence Minister and Senator, interviewed by Laurence Arthur for SBS Radio - French Programme.
All pictures by Press and Information Department/Majella Christensen.