Evolution of the French Researchers in Australia Network (FRAN) [fr]
The French Researchers in Australia Network (FRAN) is a networking tool for the French researchers working in Australian universities and research centres. Launched by the Embassy of France in Australia in December 2012, the network is based on a LinkedIn group and aims to facilitate the dissemination of information and create or strengthen collaborations between France and Australia in basic and applied sciences.
Initially open mainly to French PhD students, postdoctoral fellows and contract researchers working in Australia. As the membership grew to a critical mass of 500 members in December 2015, FRAN is now undergoing a restructuration of its model towards a wider network, including Australian researchers with existing (or a strong interest in developing) collaborations with France; French researchers based in France or the Pacific wishing to create or strengthen their relationship with Australia; and other science, technology, economic and social actors involved in strengthening the research linkages between the two countries.
In 2016, FRAN will evolve towards an association which will, with the continued support of the Embassy, be based on an online platform tackling the three main objectives of the network:
- Create a centralized database of information on:
- Exchange and mobility opportunities for students and professionals
- Administrative procedures (visas, recruitment, etc.) in Australia
- The French and Australian higher education and research systems
- The FRAN members (directory)
- Support the dissemination of information regarding the evolutions of higher education/research ecosystems and policies in both countries, potential opportunities for bilateral cooperation and key events
- Develop communication between members through a system of « classified ads » open to the network members and tackling student exchange, calls for collaborators, etc.
To join the network or update your information, simply fill out this form and return it to: science.canberra-amba(at)diplomatie.gouv.fr
Joining is free. Please feel free to also join the FRAN LinkedIn group.
Feel free to contact the Science and Technology Section of the Embassy:
Anne Rouault, Attaché for Science and Technology : anne.rouault(at)diplomatie.gouv.fr
Thomas Biedermann, Deputy : thomas.biedermann(atdiplomatie.gouv.fr